Hello, my name is Liudmila. I was born in Lithuania, have family roots in Russia, but now I live in Norway:) I can't tell anything astonishing about myself... I'm not registered in the Guinness Book of Records, haven't invented the bicycle and wasn't elected as a president :D I'm an ordirary person with simple hobbies - love travelling, reading books, meeting my friends, I just love life as it is, with all advantages and disadvantages. I just have an interesting hobby - I collect bookmarks :) I'm a passionate bookmark collector and hope to find more collectors, exchange bookmarks with them, show my collection to others and have a look at other collections :) You can contact me, if you're interested in bookmark exchange :) Hope to find friends from all over the world :)

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Cartmel Priory Gatehouse

Cartmel Priory Gatehouse is a National Trust property located at Cartmel, Grange-over-Sands, Cumbria, England.Along with the church, the gatehouse is all that remains of the Augustinian Cartmel Priory. The priory was founded in 1190 whereas the gatehouse was built about 1330. In 1536 the Priory was dissolved as part of the general reformation of Church. Most of the monastic property was demolished, but the gatehouse was by that time serving as courthouse for the manor of Cartmel, so survived.
The building served as a grammar school from 1624 to 1790. In 1923 the gatehouse became a museum, and was used for exhibitions and meetings, before being presented to the National Trust in 1946. By 2011 it was mainly in private residential use, although the Great Room is opened to to the public on several days a year.

No comments:

Post a Comment