Hello, my name is Liudmila. I was born in Lithuania, have family roots in Russia, but now I live in Norway:) I can't tell anything astonishing about myself... I'm not registered in the Guinness Book of Records, haven't invented the bicycle and wasn't elected as a president :D I'm an ordirary person with simple hobbies - love travelling, reading books, meeting my friends, I just love life as it is, with all advantages and disadvantages. I just have an interesting hobby - I collect bookmarks :) I'm a passionate bookmark collector and hope to find more collectors, exchange bookmarks with them, show my collection to others and have a look at other collections :) You can contact me, if you're interested in bookmark exchange :) Hope to find friends from all over the world :)

Thursday, October 28, 2010

The shamrock

Trilapis dobilas- Airijos simbolis. Šis simbolis atsirado tada, kai Šv. Patrikas – Airijos globėjas, krikštijęs jos gyventojus, panaudojo trilapį dobilą Šv. Trejybei paaiškinti: Dievas Tėvas, Dievas Sūnus ir Šventoji Dvasia - atskiri to paties vieneto elementai, kaip ir trys atskiri, koto jungiami dobilo lapeliai.

Present which was brought for me from Ireland by my friend. 
The shamrock () is a symbol of Ireland. It is a three-leafed old white clover. The name shamrock is derived from Irish seamróg, which is the diminutive version of the Irish word for clover (seamair).
It is sometimes of the variety Trifolium repens (white clover, Irish: seamair bhán) but today usually Trifolium dubium (lesser clover, Irish: seamair bhuí). However, other three-leafed plants—such as Medicago lupulina, Trifolium pratense, and Oxalis—are sometimes designated as shamrocks. The shamrock was traditionally used for its medical properties and was a popular motif in Victorian times.

History

According to what the Oxford English Dictionary calls "a late tradition" (first recorded in 1726), the plant was used by Saint Patrick to illustrate the doctrine of the Trinity. However, the posthumous timing of this legend (coming some 1,200 years after his death), and the lack of supporting evidence found in St. Patrick's writings have caused some to question its authenticity.[1]  More...





No comments:

Post a Comment