Hello, my name is Liudmila. I was born in Lithuania, have family roots in Russia, but now I live in Norway:) I can't tell anything astonishing about myself... I'm not registered in the Guinness Book of Records, haven't invented the bicycle and wasn't elected as a president :D I'm an ordirary person with simple hobbies - love travelling, reading books, meeting my friends, I just love life as it is, with all advantages and disadvantages. I just have an interesting hobby - I collect bookmarks :) I'm a passionate bookmark collector and hope to find more collectors, exchange bookmarks with them, show my collection to others and have a look at other collections :) You can contact me, if you're interested in bookmark exchange :) Hope to find friends from all over the world :)

Thursday, November 18, 2010

US 1942 Mercury Dime Silver Coin -Winged Liberty

Antique :)


Little-Known Facts About Mercury Dimes coins:
Mercury in Greek mythology was known as the "quick messenger" and was equipped with wings to better execute his duties.

The confusion comes in when the designer of the coin, Adolf Weinman, added wings to Liberty's headdress.The wings were added to symbolize "liberty of thought". However in the end, due to misconception, the coin was improperly named the mercury dime.

The mercury head dime was minted from 1916 through 1945 when it was replaced by the Roosevelt dime.


1 comment: