Hello, my name is Liudmila. I was born in Lithuania, have family roots in Russia, but now I live in Norway:) I can't tell anything astonishing about myself... I'm not registered in the Guinness Book of Records, haven't invented the bicycle and wasn't elected as a president :D I'm an ordirary person with simple hobbies - love travelling, reading books, meeting my friends, I just love life as it is, with all advantages and disadvantages. I just have an interesting hobby - I collect bookmarks :) I'm a passionate bookmark collector and hope to find more collectors, exchange bookmarks with them, show my collection to others and have a look at other collections :) You can contact me, if you're interested in bookmark exchange :) Hope to find friends from all over the world :)

Sunday, May 1, 2011

Gorgeous stained glass Cathedral in Mallorca


The Cathedral of Santa Maria of Palma, more commonly referred to as La Seu, is a Gothic Roman Catholic cathedral located in Palma, Majorca, Spain.
The Cathedral  is one of the most impressive architectural feats in all of Spain, let alone the Balearic Islands. The island of Mallorca and the city of Palma have long histories that date back into antiquity, and the Palma Cathedral has a long and rich past intertwining with this history. Tourists who travel to Mallorca for a Mediterranean getaway of sunbathing and beach fun are sometimes surprised at the sight of the daunting Gothic construct located in front of the Old Town and rising above the Park de la Mar (Park of the Sea). When you travel to places such as Paris, London, and other older cities in Europe, you regularly see large, ornate churches. The Cathedral in Mallorca rivals many of these in terms of sheer size and beauty.
Construction of the Cathedral in Palma de Mallorca began in 1229 and did not finish until 1601. It has survived over the centuries and even the parts that were damaged from natural effects are now well restored. Legend has it that the Palma Cathedral was conceived when Jaime I was sailing a conquest mission to Mallorca when his ship was hit with a massive storm. Jaime I cried out to the Virgin Mary and promised her that, should she see them through their tempestuous trip, he would erect a church in her honor. The story says that once they safely arrived on shore, plans to erect the Cathedral of Palma Mallorca had already begun to take shape. The sight of the Cathedral in Mallorca from a distance is really impressive and only gets more impressive as you get closer. The massive construct is built from golden limestone in the French Gothic tradition. La Seu, as it is known locally, has rows of towers and spires, an impressive (albeit unfinished) bell tower, gorgeous stained glass, entrance ways, murals, sculptures, and statues. The main church at the Cathedral in Palma Mallorca is huge and located centrally while the “Royal Chapel” is located in the rear interior of the church. http://www.balearsculturaltour.es/sabiasque_det.php?idioma=en&id=1&cod=103

1 comment: